Lifeline is a federal program that help income-eligible consumers afford local telephone or broadband internet service. Yeoman Telephone Company offers this program to customers who live within its serving area. Lifeline will not help with long distance costs, but ask your long distance provider about possible discounts.
How this program can benefit you
Lifeline reduces an eligible customer's rate on basic local telephone service or broadband internet service for speed packages of 10/1 or greater. An eligible customer will receive a monthly $9.25 credit for Lifeline Assistance. The Lifeline program is available for only one service per eligible home. Lifeline is a non-transferable benefit and the subscriber may not transfer his or her benefit to any other person.
Are you eligible?
Consumers enrolled in one or more of the following assistance programs may qualify for Lifeline benefits:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- Veteran's or Survivor's Pension Benefit
A consumer also qualifies for Lifeline if his or her household income is at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines. Information regarding the poverty guidelines is available from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services at http://www.hhs.gov/ or 1-877-696-6775.
The following conditions are required for Lifeline eligibility:
- To enroll, you must send an application directly to the Yeoman Telephone Company.
- With the application, you must provide documentation showing proof of income or proof of participation in a Lifeline-qualifying assistance program.
- Only one Lifeline discount is available per household. It may be applied to either a landline or wireless telephone, or a broadband Internet bundle/package with speeds of 10/1 or greater. Some exceptions may apply for a broadband Internet discount – please contact Yeoman Telephone Company for details.
- If your household receives more than one Lifeline discount, you must select a single provider immediately or be subject to penalties.
All Lifeline subscribers must re-certify eligibility each year.
How to apply
Applications are available at Yeoman Telephone Company or online from the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor.
Read the application carefully and contact Yeoman Telephone Company with any questions, (574) 965-2100.
When returning the completed application to your phone company, you must include documentation showing that you participate in at least one of the public assistance programs listed in the "Are you eligible?" section on this fact sheet.